Skip navigation links
logo ridotto
ECONOMIA Scuola di Economia e Management

How to apply for the Erasmus+ Study programme

How to apply for the Erasmus+ Study programme

To read the Call and apply online click here
When and how can I apply for the Erasmus + programme?
It is possible to send the application only during the period stated in the Call and exclusively through the online procedure at the following link:
In order to login into the system students need their student number (numero di matricola) and password. The deadline is February 12, 2020 at 1 pm.
For any technical difficulties, students may go on the section "Richiedi Assistenza" otherwise they can call the Student Mobility Office ph. 055 275 7636/7632/7682 on tue and thu from 10.00 to 12.00 or they can go to the office in the opening hours:
Piazza S. Marco, 4 - 50121 Florence
Timetable: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9.00 - 13.00

What are the basic requirements for admission to the Erasmus+ for study Call?
- To be regularly enrolled full-time both for the current academic year and for the year following the issuing of the Call. Undergraduates can submit the application, graduate, enroll in the Master (Laurea magistrale) and go abroad, provided there is no interruption in the payment of university fees between the laurea triennale and magistrale.
- To know the language of the host university.
- Those who have already participated in Erasmus for study within the LLP/Erasmus or Erasmus + programme may participate for a maximum of 12 months of Erasmus (both for study and traineeship) for each study cycle (12 months in the Bachelor + 12 months in Master + 12 months in PhD)
- The students of Single Courses are not eligible to apply

What are the selection criteria?
For the School of Economics and Management:
- Number of credits (max 35 points)
- Average grade (max 35 points)
- Languages skills (max 15 points):
- 10 points for C2
- 9 points for C1
- 7 points for B2
- 5 points for B1
- 2 points for A2
- 1 point for A1
What are the language certificates required to demonstrate your knowledge?
Students have to:
- Pass a university exam in the chosen language
- Pass the test at the linguistic center of the University of Florence (CLA): to know the level of your test consult (login with student number and password)
- Obtain one of the following certificates
Students without an eligible language certificate are required to book a test at University Language Center ( before the deadline of the selection process. In order to speed up the reservation procedure, students can point out that they are taking the test for international mobility (

N.B. if the CERTIFICATION owned by the student is not among those appearing in the dropdown MENU of the HERMES system but only among those previously indicated, select  "Other ".

Please note that there are penalties for FALSE declarations (D.P.R. 445/2000). Random checks will be carried out.

Do I have to present linguistic certificates for all the languages in use at the foreign university I apply to?
It is possible to apply for only one of the languages used by the foreign university, but it is necessary to carefully check the access requirements for Erasmus students published on the website. It is advisable to check this information with the utmost care!
How many mobility calls can I apply for?
If the calls for Extra UE mobility or Erasmus for Traineeship are also open at the same time as the Erasmus for Study, it is possible to apply to all three and to carry out all three periods of mobility; however it is necessary leave at least two to three weeks' gap one period and another. The total number of months of mobility (Erasmus Study + Erasmus Traineeship) can not be more than 12.
Can I do Erasmus only for thesis research?
Students interested in carrying out only some research for their thesis (with a stay of minimum 3 months) are invited to contact the International Relations Service, as almost no Foreign University accepts students who do not enroll to semester courses to obtain at least 25/30 ECTS. 
How many destinations can I choose?
Each student may apply to no more than FIVE foreign universities in total, and it is mandatory to draw up the learning agreement only for the first. It is highly recommended that you select all five locations of your choice.
If you want to see the list of available Universities please click here.
How do you choose the most suitable University and the exams to be taken abroad?
Firstly, the choice must be directed towards a place where the foreign language in use is already known at a good level, i.e. equal to or greater than B1/B2. There are many foreign universities outside the UK that offer courses in English and do not require the knowledge of the local language, for example in Holland, France, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Belgium, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary.

Secondly, it is necessary to consult the file with the partners of the School of Economics and Management, to verify the ISCED code of the disciplinary area in which the mobility is possible. In fact, the student will be accepted by the Foreign University regardless of the course of study in which he is enrolled in Florence, but he can follow the courses almost exclusively (with small exceptions) in the disciplinary area of the partnership exchange.
The complete list of ISCED codes is here.
For ISCED code Search click here.

The most common ISCED are:
041 Business and Administration
0311 Economics
0312/316 International Relations

Warning: This does not mean that it is mandatory for those who are enrolled in Business Administration to go to Partner Universities with code 041; it means that the Foreign University offers almost exclusively courses in that area, which all Erasmus students can attend regardless of their course of study.

Thirdly, it is necessary to verify the information about the foreign universities by visiting their websites, in particular the information page for Incoming Students where there may be rules or restrictions on the choice of exams for students from abroad and then consult their educational syllabus.
Once you have collected the information you will then have to check which courses provided by the foreign university can be included in your curriculum.
Can I go for one semester only even if the agreement expects a mobility of 10 months?
Of course! The months indicated are merely indicative of a maximum period, so it is necessary to check the real dates of start and end of the semester on the website of the Foreign University. For example in France many "semesters" last just over 3 months (from September to December exams included).
Only bachelor students leaving in September can stay for the full year.
Can I choose exams at a different level (Bachelor, Master, Phd) than mine?
Bachelor students can apply exclusively to the BA level, offered by almost all the partners. Master students can apply to the 2nd level (Master) at the Universities that offer it; moreover, they can apply to Universities that offer only the BA level, but will then be able to take only 3rd- or 4th-year exams. In any case thay have to consult their Erasmus tutor for the Learning Agreement’s approval.
In the Turul the levels are displayed in the section "Tipologia".
Do I need to fill in the LEARNING AGREEMENT?
Yes, as stated in the Call, it is compulsory to fill in the Learning Agreement with the exams that you would like to take abroad, at least for the first chosen University.
Which exams cannot be taken during Erasmus?
It is not possible to take basic examinations (usually the 1st-year exams) and the examinations concerning Italian law. List of prohibited exams.
To receive advice on which exams to choose you can consult your Erasmus tutor who will also approve your Learning Agreement (List of tutors)
What does ECTS mean?
In the countries participating in the Erasmus programme, generally, the number of credits for each course is expressed in ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) where 1 ects is equal to 1 CFU. 1 ECTS in fact is worth 25 hours of total work, divided between 8 or 10 hours of lessons and the rest for the individual work.

How can I determine whether a foreign examination can be recognised in my study plan?
The most important rule to know is that all exams agreed with your Erasmus tutor will then be recognized. Therefore, you should always refer to him/her for the choice of exams.
Moreover, any exam taken in the foreign university shall have an equal or greater number of credits than the Italian one, and be more or less similar in content. No exceptions of any kind are allowed to this rule.
For Universities that adopt a credit system very different from ours it is possible to make compensations of credits, provided that the contents of the courses are similar and that the total number of credits is equal.
There are countries like Sweden where the exams are all of 7.5 Ects/CFU:4
exams of 7.5 each = 30 credits, which can become 5 exams of 6, or 2 of 6 + 2 of 9.
There are countries like England where the exams are all of 5 or 10 Ects/CFU:6
exams of 5 credits, can become 5 exams of 6, or 2 from 6 + 2 of 9.
1 exam of 5 + 1 exam of 10 = 15, can therefore be recognized as 1 exam of 6 and 1 of 9.
There are countries like Spain where there are only exams of 6:
3 Exams 6 = 18 Cfu can become 2 exams of  9.
This calculation is illustrated purely as an example and the actual confirmation of the exams proposed will be given by the Erasmus tutor approving the Learning Agreement.
 If the compensation of exams is impossible, it is possible to do an integration in Florence:
Example: You do 6 CFU abroad and do an integration of 3 CFU upon return.
Warning: even if the integration is taken in Florence (with its own grade), the exam will be registered as if it was taken abroad if the foreign part is bigger then the Italian part, or vice versa if the Italian part is bigger.
Is there a maximum or a minimum of CFU that can be made during Erasmus?
The University of Florence requires to recognize at least 1 CFU, but there can be also a minimum required by the Foreign University (before the departure), which may decide not to admit students who have a Learning Agreement with a lower number of credits than their requirement (18, 25, 30 Cfu per Semester).
In any case the maximum of credits per semester is always equal to 30 Cfu. Minor exceptions are possible.
Warning: Master's degree students are generally not allowed to take abroad exams for more than 30 Cfu. For more information you need to contact your Erasmus tutor.
last update: 20-Dec-2019
Unifi Home Page

Back to top